54 Fairmount Avenue
Chatham, NJ 07928
On Monday, January 15, 2024, at approximately 6:44 PM, an unoccupied Chandler Road home was burglarized. The suspects forced entry through the rear glass door. The suspects were observed fleeing through the front door after several minutes as the home burglar alarm sounded. The Chatham Borough Police Department, Morris County Prosecutor’s Office, and the Morris County Sheriff's Office are working together on this investigation.
We are grateful for the efforts of all residents to help curb stolen vehicles and now ask for your continued efforts to help stifle home burglaries. Chief Gibbons has ordered maximum police resources to curb the increase in home burglaries. As reported previously, additional police personnel are being assigned and reassigned to the areas experiencing an increase in burglary activity. Additional technologies are being deployed to assist us and special enforcement details activated to augment patrol. Coordination with Federal, State, County and local law enforcement partners continues and is producing promising leads.
Moreover, to support us and help protect yourselves and your homes, we urge residents to remain vigilant and adopt the following precautions:
• Keep all doors and windows to your home and vehicles locked at all times.
• If you have a home alarm system, please activate your alarm daily, and especially at night, using a mode that triggers immediate alerts when a window is opened.
• Lock doors and activate vehicle alarms whenever your car is parked.
• If you have a home surveillance system, set it to receive immediate notification when someone is around your home. Review footage regularly and report any suspicious activity to the Chatham Borough Police Department.
• If you can, please park high-end vehicles in your garage or further from the street.
• Stay aware of your surroundings and report any unusual incidents promptly.
If you observe any suspicious activity or have information captured by your home surveillance cameras that may aid our ongoing investigations, please contact the Chatham Borough Police Department at 973-635-8000 immediately.
Your cooperation and vigilance are crucial in helping us curb this disturbing trend. Together, we can work towards a safer community.